Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Something to post about, at last!!

It's been toooo long.  I've still kept up with all my favorite quilty blogs , just haven't had much to blog about myself :((

I have a couple of works in progress, the first is much further ahead than the second but I'm pretty excited about the second one!

I bought this great pattern for a Jelly Roll quilt by the clever Pam and Nicky Lintott to make a quilt for my 12 year old son, Jorden.  The blocks went together very quickly and so simply!  I have used Independence Trail by Minick and Simpson, 1 Jelly Roll and some yardage plus some background yardage from French General.




I am going to use the gorgeous red fabric below for a border, not included in the pattern but I want the quilt to be a little larger.


The colour is a little wacky because I didn't use a flash, just the lightbulb in the room but you see how lovely it is, Minick and Simpson, Independence Trail again.

Here are the blocks so far.


I am really looking forward to getting this finished and ready to quilt, I think my gorgeous boy will like it.  It's been pretty cold and miserable lately so he will certainly appreciate its warmth.  I think I'll use a 60% wool 40% polyester batting, I've used it many times and love the way it quilts.  It's cozy , warm and not too heavy as well as machine washable.

The other project I have started this week is a Rose Wreath. I Googled "Rose Wreath quilts" on Images and drew up my own pattern, a little imperfect!  I rushed out and bought the fabric for the background, a white quilter's muslin.  I also bought the green and the yellow then stumbled with the red because the pattern has a double pink against the red so I had to be very careful.  I brought home a couple of samples and was horrified at how awful they looked with the double pink I planned to use.  I was feeling a little frustrated when I remembered I had some wonderful red fabric from a project I have been working on in fits and starts for a while.  Long story short it was perfect, a very raspberry red, so I rushed out to my LQS and asked if they had any left, "no sorry", they only had a small piece in the remnant basket, shock horror!  Oh, wait a minute!  They had another print but the same colour run!!! It's even more appropriate, printwise, than my original red so I went home a very happy camper!  Fabric sorted I couldn't wait to get started on the first block, of which there will be nine!  I hope I can keep up the momentum.  I never was crazy about applique but really fell in love with it a few years ago, I love that it's portable and very soothing to do in the evening.  This may take a while to complete but It should be lovely with plenty of space to fill with feather quilting!!

Here is my pattern, it's in pencil (so not terribly clear) and on 6 sheets of A4 printer paper stuck together with masking tape, I'm no expert pattern drafter!  However, it does the job!


I am using freezer paper templates ironed onto the right side of the fabric then I trace around the freezer paper with the white Clover marker and do needle turn applique.  I have traced the pattern onto the white background fabric with a wash out blue marker, using dots where I can. I may try something different with the next block as I'm not 100% comfortable using these markers after all the horror stories I've read of the marks returning months after the project has been completed and the marker washed out! I am removing the marker as I go!!

I will post a picture of the fabrics and my applique progress in a day or so, should have taken some before I started this post, sorry!

Feels good to be posting again.

Happy quilting,
Rowena









4 comments:

  1. Lovely to see a post from you Rowena and love the Jelly Roll project you are working on. When I use wash out pens for quilting I find that it fades quickly when I mark it on before layering but when I do so after layering then the only alternative is to give the quilt a good wash in cool water after the quilting is finished and this seem to do the trick. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderful! That's a great rose design! Have you heard about using thin interfacing overlay as your guide? That may work for you. Let me know if you need instructions on this method and I will explain further. Have a great time finishing up that great jelly roll quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your baskets look great! Love the fabrics/colors you chose. I have a very soft spot for some florals.:) Good luck with your applique project! It looks very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like that pattern from the jelly roll quilt. I really like the splash of color from the border. It must be pretty cold in Australia at this time, as always when it is warm up here in Canada. I am sure that he will enjoy the quilt as I do mine in December.

    http://online-phd-uk.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete