Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Quilting That Took Forever

Some months ago a customer quilt came to me via a LQS.  I was in the process of selling my present quilting machine and buying a bigger,better one.  So as to give the customer the best result I waited for my new machine to arrive and be set up before I made a start.

Nearly every quilt that comes to me to be quilted speaks to me pretty quickly with an overall idea of how I will approach it design wise.  This quilt was not one of those : (   I stood and stared, I scoured quilting books and magazines and then the internet for something to spark my creative flame. I even sort out the generous help of an online machine quilters site.  I finally devised a plan and onto the machine the quilt top and backing went.

Right about this time my son, Ben, who had a spinal injury, took a severe turn for worse with his back pain and required much more help and attention.  So while all this was going on I grabbed whatever little bits of time I could to get this quilt done.  Then Ben's surgery finally was done and he needed more support while he recovered.  So after far too many interruptions and delays I have finished the quilting and passed it on to a very patient customer, I must say I am so pleased it's done.  Here are some not so brilliant photos of said quilt.





The customer requested feathers so I tried to follow that brief while complementing the fabrics, there are feathers in the busy border fabric that can't be obviously seen but give a nice texture.

I now have a quite small but pretty quilt on the frame belonging to Sylvia.  It's to be a gift to someone special in the UK.  This will be a nice, straight forward job, most welcome.

Only a little applique to finish on the quilt from my last post and then it will all go together, yay.

Happy stitching,
Rowena  



5 comments:

  1. Hope your son is on the mend soon.
    How did you sell your other machine and what did you get?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely quilt! You're quilting really suits the design. I bet you love your new machine! I hope your son is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice quilting, and i love the fabrics you chose for the one on your design board.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, Rowena!!! I love your feathers. Hope son is on the mend!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its a beautiful quilt. I such a love this quilt. its color and pattern is looks very awesome.
    date brocante

    ReplyDelete