Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Not much sewing

The past week and a half has been a week I hope never to repeat.

My eldest brother passed away on the 24th October after being very ill for the last year.  Even though we knew his illness was terminal it was still a shock to lose him.  He has left behind a wonderful wife who nursed him at home until the last and six children, the youngest only 6 yrs old.  So sad.

My Mum, who lives with my children and I in her own self contained part of our house, went in for heart valve replacement surgery on the 27th of October. Thankfully she has come through the op with flying colours and though she is sore and sorry she is on the road to recovery.

Needless to say I'm not sorry this week is over.

from Jo Morton's book Small Quilts with Vintage Charm

So I haven't done much in the way of sewing this week.  I was hoping to get the last few orange peels done but have only managed one or two.  So since I don't have anything new to show I'm posting a picture of a Jo Morton quilt (wall hanging size) that is on my to do list.

Because I like posts with eye candy here's some fabric I bought a couple of weeks ago.  The Jelly Roll, some yardage and a few fat 1/4's from Moda's Luna Notte range...delicious!  The yardage at the bottom of the picture is from Garden Party by Blackbird Designs.  The fat 1/4 with the light background(in the middle) is from the Vanity Fair range.



Luna Notte is such a beautiful range and although I've not really ever been drawn to fabrics with black I really love the contrast the blacks give this range. If you haven't seen it yet do go check it out.

Be well and bye for now,
Rowena

11 comments:

  1. My condolences to you and yours. Definitely a week and a half to live through only once.
    Thanks for showing the Jo Morton quilt with reference as I love basket quilts. Luna Notte caught my eye too - so far, not my money:) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear about your brother and mom, sometimes we get with too much at once. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    Love the orange shades and I think black would look beautiful with them.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, dear Rowena... I am so sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers for your family and your dear sister-in-law and children. Hope your mom is well on her way to feeling better after surgery.

    The eye candy in wonderful! I love Jo Morton. And I will have to check out the Luna Notte line... looks delish!

    Take good care,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Hope your mom gets to feeling better quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear of the loss of your brother. My thoughts and prayers are with you and for your mom's speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear of your loss. I know how sad you are feeling.
    www.quiltsampler.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. My condolences. My thoughts with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. You never know what is around the corner in life...too young to go. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How very sad. Your family has certainly had a bad time. Wishing you all only good things from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sorry to hear about all your bad news.........
    I love the look of Jo's work.........enjoy making the quilt........

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rowena, I am really sorry to hear of the loss of your brother. I hope you and your family are holding up? Be kind to each other and yourself. I hope your mother is getting stronger? Such a rough time, indeed.
    My heart goes out to you.
    Ok: fabric: Lovely! And I don't know this book. Looks like there might me some shopping in my future... :)
    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete